12.11.13 E02 and Sonic Example game updates

12.11.13 E02 and Sonic Example game updates

Postby Stealth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 am

That "not having any time" thing a month ago turned out to be baloney- at least at the time. When I recognized that, I decided to put a rush on these updates, and was able to round them out in such a way as to be marginally comfortable with releasing them. I've tried to make sure that everything is in order, but given the hurried nature, I apologize if anything is wrong or seems "off". If I hadn't done this now, it would have to have waited for a matter of months

As stated in the last update, this is massive-

E02 has been updated to v12.11.13, which includes, but is not limited to:
  • some slight optimizations
  • several new Commands and Keywords
  • improved Keyword usability and functionality
  • "Directives" for file include and Local Alias definition
  • alphanumeric Label names
  • greatly improved interfaces for Level and Object editors
  • Stereo music playback
  • Ogg Vorbis music support
  • custom program icons
The complete list is too extensive for an update post to truly do it justice, so please have a look at the What's New document for full details on what has been added, changed, and fixed

Also, as promised, the Sonic the Hedgehog Example Game and Template has finally been updated to v12.11.13. Changes include, but are not limited to:
  • Takes full advantage of ease-of-use features such as Alias Names, Keywords, and Directives, making the code much easier to read, navigate, and modify, as well as using other features now available in the newest release of E02
  • Greatly expanded to include much more of the basic Sonic the Hedgehog functionality
  • Fully playable Tails and Knuckles
  • The complete Green Hill Zone as reproduced in "Project Mettrix" demos dating back to 2008
  • The all-new "Gemstone Garden Zone", with graphics from PlaySega's online Flash Sonic editor, which take greater advantage of the available colors, and includes objects from Green Hill Zone and Labyrinth Zone, as well as background and palette change events, a level act chaining event and two new bosses!
  • Level, Player, and Game Mode select screen as used in previous "Project Mettrix" demos, demonstrating "complex" menus and allowing in-game access to all three characters and two-player mode
  • A brand new Special Stage with 8 levels of difficulty (one "hidden"), demonstrating level area looping, randomly-generated layout, and level state restoration on return to normal gameplay
  • A brand new Bonus Stage with obvious examples of Solid Tiled Objects, and level state restoration on return to normal gameplay
  • A continue system with accompanying screen
  • A Demo recording and playback system
Again, complete details are too numerous to include in an update post, so please have a look at the ReadMe document for a full rundown. I have also uploaded a gameplay video that showcases some of these features

Due to the fact that there have been major structure changes to this example, it is strongly recommended that, if you had already downloaded the previous "template", you delete/rename your current "/sonic" folder. Otherwise, there will be a ton of garbage

Portions of the layout for Gemstone Garden Act 1 were created by Robjoe, and a large amount of the layout for Act 2 was created by Markey the Jester, who worked himself into the ground to get finished in time (much like myself :P). Without them, this probably wouldn't have been possible

As for the other thing I was talking about in my previous update, my obligation is coming very soon. I will be tied up in it for several months, but although I can't talk about it now, you will hear about it sometime before it's over, and that will be accompanied by a change in this site. I will, however, make attempts to continue providing support for these projects to the extent that it does not compromise my other work; please excuse any delays. If anyone is willing to make themselves available on the forum and/or in the IRC channel on occasion to better ensure that others can get help in finding their way around, that would be greatly appreciated

There are a few other things I have actually started on in relation to E02, but they're not near enough to being complete for me to be able to make them available right now. They will be coming, though, along with a big announcement regarding E02 itself
Stealth
Site Admin

Re: 12.11.13 E02 and Sonic Example game updates

Postby SonicVaan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:07 pm

I awaited the PSP update... but when I choose my access point, the WLAN light on the PSP goes on and then turns off. And then after a few seconds: "Access point: Connection Timeout.."

Sigh, re-downloading the games manually now. =P

EDIT: Works now, had to disable a plugin. But the PSP freezes and crashes when downloading "Msg" for the updates.

EDIT 2: PSP froze and crashed after the demo in the example game.
SonicVaan

Postby alavaliant » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:28 am

Nice work. I do like the look of "Gemstone Garden Zone", it's nice to see some extra levels added.

Unfortantly after updating E02 on my wii and downloading the Sonic Example game (first time I'd downloaded it on my wii) I get presented with the error in the image below
e02-wii-error-small.jpg
error message shown when I select example sonic game in game menu in E02 running on my wii.
e02-wii-error-small.jpg (208.16 KiB) Viewed 9473 times

Loading up Sonic Mettrix on the Wii works without issue. I'm unsure if it's something messed up on my just my sd card or if there is something in general not quite right in the wii build of e02? Put thought I'd bring it to your attention incase it is a global bug with the wii build and the new example sonic game.
alavaliant

Postby Stealth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:50 am

SonicVaan wrote:EDIT: Works now, had to disable a plugin. But the PSP freezes and crashes when downloading "Msg" for the updates.
I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong. I don't seem to have had any network problems whatsoever with the newest version. What kind of plugins are you using?

SonicVaan wrote:EDIT 2: PSP froze and crashed after the demo in the example game.
I saw something similar happen in a different part of the game after extended play, but since I couldn't reproduce it, I had to consider it a fluke. I'll try looking into it when I can

alavaliant wrote:Unfortantly after updating E02 on my wii and downloading the Sonic Example game (first time I'd downloaded it on my wii) I get presented with the error in the image below
[...]
Loading up Sonic Mettrix on the Wii works without issue. I'm unsure if it's something messed up on my just my sd card or if there is something in general not quite right in the wii build of e02? Put thought I'd bring it to your attention incase it is a global bug with the wii build and the new example sonic game.
That's a problem with the updates system version of the download. With so much else to do, I seem to have forgotten to update the files lists for some of the changes. I've corrected it now, but unfortunately you won't be able to get it from directly inside E02. You'll need to either perform a manual install, or download the older version from the Homebrew Browser and re-update. I also seem to have messed up the download for the key map file for the Wii version, so without re-downloading the example or modifying the existing keymap, the game will be expecting you to use an awkward button layout on GC controller 1 (with wiimote and classic controller non-functional). Sorry about that
Stealth
Site Admin

Postby alavaliant » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Stealth wrote:
alavaliant wrote:Unfortantly after updating E02 on my wii and downloading the Sonic Example game (first time I'd downloaded it on my wii) I get presented with the error in the image below
[...]
That's a problem with the updates system version of the download. With so much else to do, I seem to have forgotten to update the files lists for some of the changes. I've corrected it now, but unfortunately you won't be able to get it from directly inside E02. You'll need to either perform a manual install, or download the older version from the Homebrew Browser and re-update. I also seem to have messed up the download for the key map file for the Wii version, so without re-downloading the example or modifying the existing keymap, the game will be expecting you to use an awkward button layout on GC controller 1 (with wiimote and classic controller non-functional). Sorry about that

Thanks, that did it. Got through all of gemstone gardens, quite enjoyed the bosses. Interesting remix on some classics.
alavaliant

Return to Updates